GSoC:Complete Package support in the pkg_install tools and cleanup

Julien Laffaye kimelto at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:30:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Andrew Brampton
<brampton+freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> Glad you got onto the GSoC programme. I'm curious, what benefit is a
> complete package over many individual ones?

Hi Andrew,

If you cant or dont want to use the remote feature of of pkg_add (ex.
your packages are built with non default options and you think its
overkill to setup a server to distribute them) then you make a
complete package. You only have to copy one file (say on an usb
device), which is less error prone than 150 files.
The global idea is to write a meta port which depends on the desired
ports, type `make complete-package`, copy the output file on the
machine to bootstrap, pkg_add /path/to/complete-pkg and voila!

Regards,
Julien