GSoC:Complete Package support in the pkg_install tools and cleanup

Julien Laffaye kimelto at gmail.com
Tue May 4 02:40:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

During this summer, I'll work on the pkg_install tools to add complete
package support.
A complete package is a package which includes all the required
dependencies in its tarball.
Unlike the PBI package format of PC-BSD, once a complete package is installed,
it appears as every package contained in the complete package was
installed separately.

As a side effect, I'll add libarchive support to the pkg_add tool to
make installation as efficient
as possible and do some refactoring to allow code re usability.
I'll also surely write automated tests which would benefit to the
pkg_install tools.

My page on the wiki is http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010JulienLaffaye

You can email me on or off list is you have any questions, comments or
suggestions.

Best regards,
Julien Laffaye