GSoC: Generic DMA engine framework

Rafal Jaworowski raj at semihalf.com
Mon May 3 20:47:34 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-03, at 22:22, Kristof Provost wrote:

> On 2010-05-03 22:12:28 (+0200), Rafal Jaworowski <raj at semihalf.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure how far you went with the crypto engine work, but be advised we already have completed the CESA driver, only I haven't managed to commit the code yet.. Let me know if you'd like to see / test drive this.
> Yes, I'd be quite interested to see how my attempts compare to your
> work. Does it support the Sheevaplug SoC or the 88F5182 (Orion)? I
> didn't study the Sheevaplug documentation in great detail but I believe
> the CESA is similar (but not identical) on the two chips.

I believe the 88F5182 has CESA as well, although as far I can see the main difference is that while the 88F6xxx (and MV-78xxx) CESA has an associated (to some extent can be considered as dedicated) TDMA engine, the one in 88F5182 does not, and can only use the generic purpose engine (IDMA). Our driver assumes TDMA and was only tested with 88F6xxx and 78xxx, so it seems there's some work involved with getting this to work on the 5182. Let me carve the code out for your reference so that you can try to extend it to work wirh Orion.

>> BTW: out of curiousity, what is the platform based on 88F5281 you're using?
> It's a TS-7800:
> http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7800

Does the generic DB-88F5XXX kernel config and existing code work with this device, or have you had to modify anything?

Rafal