GSoC: High performance packet capturing

Alexandre Fiveg pebu3op at googlemail.com
Sun May 2 23:33:27 UTC 2010

Hello hackers,

I am working on the project "Ringmap capturing stack for high
performance packet capturing in FreeBSD". I will continue my work on
this project within the context of GSoC2010. The goal of my work  is
implementing the new software components for efficient packet capturing
at 1Gb and 10Gb in FreeBSD.  The new software should make it possible to
minimize packet loss and CPU load during packet capture. The project
comprises an adapted version of the libpcap for transparency towards
typical user-space programs. So, any applications that use libpcap for
packet capturing shouldn't require modification in order to run with the
new ringmap network driver (and new modified libpcap).

The project details
1. Ringmap Presentation:
http://ringmap.googlecode.com/files/ringmap_slides.pdf
2. Wiki Pages with project schedule for GSoC2010:
	http://wiki.freebsd.org/AlexandreFiveg/SOC2010AlexandreFiveg

I will be happy to get your feedback, suggestions and questions... and
of course your help :)

Best regards,
Alexandre

--