[patch] teach the bootloader minor amd64 knowledge

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 22 14:51:20 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 9:50:05 am Alexander Best wrote:
> hi there,
>
> since i386 and amd64 are sharing the same bootcode the bootloader gets named
> "FreeBSD/i386" on amd64 too. the following patch is a cosmetic change to
have
> the bootloader identify itself as "FreeBSD/amd64" on amd64.
>
> any thoughts on this one?

I would not do this.  They really are the same binary.  You can take a
/boot/loader built under FreeBSD/i386 and use it to load an amd64 kernel and
vice versa.  The one change I looked at doing a while back was renaming the
i386/amd64 boot bits to identify themselves as 'FreeBSD/x86' rather than
'FreeBSD/i386'.

--
John Baldwin