nroff -man, .An Aq formatting

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Mar 22 13:27:18 UTC 2010

Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Dominic Fandrey <des at des.no> writes:
> > It has come to my attention that whereas with LANG=C "nroff -man"
> > formats ".An name Aq email" as "name <email>", it uses different
> > characters with LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 "name ⟨email⟩". These characters
> > are appropriate, but a lot of unicode fonts don't seem to have them.
> AFAIK our standard is -mdoc, not -man. Is there a specific purpose for
> which you need -man? And if not does the problem exist with -mdoc?

Yes to the latter.

This is definitely a bug, since (as avg@ points out) you can no longer
copy-paste the name & address into an email client.

AFAIK (judging from the Unicode group they're in) these characters are
intended mainly for writing things like <ENTER> and <CTRL>+<F1> in
technical documentation.

I've attached a patch.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no