How to slow down SATA to 1.5 GBit/s ?

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Thu Mar 18 20:18:58 UTC 2010

In article <105730535417703 at 192.168.2.69> you write:
>Hi,
Hi!

>> > I found a similar PR
>> > http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg70510.html
>>
>> Hm thats my post, wrong link? :)
>
>Indeed. I copied the wrong URL from my mail to
>mav. The PR is at
>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/144151
>
>This here would match my theory:
>>> cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: cmd timeout after 40.010 (40) s
>>> CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00
>because the command is sent especially to see
>whether any eventual error condition is gone.
>It should get a reply within milliseconds.

 Oh hm, I'll leave that question to mav... :)

>> > and bothered mav for instructions how to upgrade
>>  That's also documented in the handbook, starting with `24.5.2 Staying
>> Stable with FreeBSD'
>
>I read that before asking. It seems a bit
>outdated ("7-STABLE") and it is full of warnings.
>Actually i hardly feel ripe for makeworld.html

 Oh well...  I'd say it's easier than it sounds.  I guess if you
feel uncomfortable you could also `practice' using a VM, taking a
snapshot before you start the upgrade...

>I will combine that with my endeavor to install
>another FreeBSD from scratch.

 ..or if you do that you could also use a stable snapshot iso from here:
	http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/
(you want RELENG_8 which is the cvs branch for whats called stable/8
in svn.)

>>  Or maybe burning apps should just invoke hal-disable-polling(1), I
>>  suspect that's intended for these kind of things...
>
>Interesting. I'll try to find out whether it
>works. (Often hal stuff on Linux does not work.
>The usual remedy is killall hald-addon-storage.)
>
>First i'll have to learn how to get a X desktop.
>Then i have to see whether hald does any harm.
>

>Have a nice day :)
>
>Thomas

 Good luck! :)
	Juergen