ATA 4K sector issues

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Wed Mar 17 18:12:03 UTC 2010

2010/3/17 Thiago Damas <tdamas at gmail.com>:
>  I had problem with ZFS.
>  With gnop -S 4096, it works well on /dev/ad{a}X.nop; but I decided to not
> use those disks.

So maybe this was not a ZFS problem but a partition misalignment problem ?

On a properly aligned partition with a physical sector size of 4KB and
a logical sector size of 512 bytes, will ZFS try to use blocksizes of
less than 4KB ? Blocksize in ZFS seems to be dynamic (at least when
not told to use a fixed blocksize), but I didn't see somewhere in the
manpage or Sun's website which minimum blocksize ZFS would use for
small files, and if there is a lower limit on blocksizes to use.