Drop cache

Stefan Esser se at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 17 18:02:05 UTC 2010

Am 16.03.2010 17:00, schrieb Pieter de Goeje:
> On Monday 15 March 2010 04:33:04 Havacci wrote:
>> How I can drop cache memory of my FreeBSD ? I search a lot about this
>> and don't find anything.
>> In Linux i usualy use this command:
>> sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
>
> Something comparable can be achieved by unmounting and remounting the test
> filesystem.

It used to be the case, that the cache was flushed early enough
to make the following flush all data for a file-system:

# cd /mount/point
# umount /mount/point

The unmount fails, since PWD is within the file-system to be unmounted.
But the cache has already been flushed by then ...

If the question was not about flushing the cache e.g. for benchmarking
purposes, then I'm not sure that a direct equivalent to the Linux
command exists (not knowing Linux and the exact semantics of drop_caches
in the original message).

Regards, STefan