How to slow down SATA to 1.5 GBit/s ?

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Mon Mar 15 19:54:15 UTC 2010

In article <10606352212539 at 192.168.2.69> you write:
>Hi,
Hi!

>> > A leadout track. Sounds very CD-ish.
>> > With DVD and BD one should rather go for READ
>> > DISC INFORMATION and READ TRACK INFORMATION.
>
>Juergen Lock wrote:
>> Hmm you might want to followup on the PR with that hint...
>
>First i should become a less clueless newbie
>and get all my own stuff sorted out. Then
>i will probably take over the plight of ports
>maintainership from J.R. Oldroyd.
>Then i might study the sources of FreeBSD to
>find out what can be improved about DVD or BD.
>Only then i plan to become perky and tell
>other people what they should do. :))

 Heh ok. :)

>> > (Switching off-and-on a stuck USB drive is
>> > obviously not a healthy thing to do.)
>> Hehe.
>
>It would be quite annoying if the machine had any
>other job than serving as OS example.

 Well I guess we can be lucky that we do have the new usb stack now,
of course there always is room for improvement...

>> > First drives got stuck when disturbed while
>> > burning CD. Now the offender gets blocked until
>> > the vulnerable drive state ends.
>> [...]
>> Oh I do remember one issue:  Burning usually doesn't work when hald
>> is running,
>
>I am not aware to have noticed it on FreeBSD.
>  # ps -ax | fgrep hald
>  974   1  R+     0:00.00 fgrep hald
>
>The machine runs headless resp. in console mode.
>No X, no desktop. So probably no hald.

 Yeah hald comes with things like gnome, kde and so on, and xorg itself
now also needs it although that at least can also be configured to run
without it.

>The current behavior is quite like Alexander
>predicted it for FreeBSD back in 2006. It
>resembles the one of older SuSE Linuxes.
>
>The initial behavior, before i installed ports,
>was rather frightening. The drives got stuck
>when i accessed them while a CD was burned.

 Well I guess drives simply don't like `random other' commands being
sent to them while a burn is in progress...  Of course the a?cd(4)
drivers _could_ try to catch that situation and return an error or
something like that - is that what Linux does?  (Actually I don't know
if hald also sends direct scsi commands via pass(4) devices, so that
may even need to be blocked too...)

>I had to shutdown -p and re-power in order to
>revive the SATA burner. USB power cycling did
>not cause a panic but the drive did not show up
>as /dev/cd* any more. A warm reboot helped.
>
>So this is on my long todo list for inspection.
>

>> Actually I do have siis(4) here too, will have to test that someday...
>
>With xorriso you would get a nice backup
>program. :))
>The port is a bit outdated. GNU xorriso-0.5.0
>should compile on FreeBSD out of the box.
>It is a standalone package with minimal external
>dependencies. Well suited for a test.
>
>With a SATA drive at ata i need rw-permissions
>for these device files: acd, pass, cd, xpt.
>The port of xfburn generously (or daringly)
>writes into /etc/devfs.rules :
>  # rules for grip and xfburn support
>  add path 'acd*' mode 0666
>  add path 'cd*' mode 0666
>  add path 'pass*' mode 0666
>  add path 'xpt*' mode 0666

 Ouch! :)  Anyway I might give that a try once ahci(4) is working...

>Have a nice day :)
>
>Thomas

 Ditto!
	Juergen