How to slow down SATA to 1.5 GBit/s ?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Mar 14 18:20:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

Juergen Lock wrote:
> Hmm you might want to followup on the PR with that hint...

First i should become a less clueless newbie
and get all my own stuff sorted out. Then
i will probably take over the plight of ports
maintainership from J.R. Oldroyd.
Then i might study the sources of FreeBSD to
find out what can be improved about DVD or BD.
Only then i plan to become perky and tell
other people what they should do. :))

> > (Switching off-and-on a stuck USB drive is
> > obviously not a healthy thing to do.)
> Hehe.

It would be quite annoying if the machine had any
other job than serving as OS example.

> > First drives got stuck when disturbed while
> > burning CD. Now the offender gets blocked until
> > the vulnerable drive state ends.
> [...]
> Oh I do remember one issue:  Burning usually doesn't work when hald
> is running,

I am not aware to have noticed it on FreeBSD.
  # ps -ax | fgrep hald
  974   1  R+     0:00.00 fgrep hald

The machine runs headless resp. in console mode.
No X, no desktop. So probably no hald.

The current behavior is quite like Alexander
predicted it for FreeBSD back in 2006. It
resembles the one of older SuSE Linuxes.

The initial behavior, before i installed ports,
was rather frightening. The drives got stuck
when i accessed them while a CD was burned.
I had to shutdown -p and re-power in order to
revive the SATA burner. USB power cycling did
not cause a panic but the drive did not show up
as /dev/cd* any more. A warm reboot helped.

So this is on my long todo list for inspection.

> Actually I do have siis(4) here too, will have to test that someday...

With xorriso you would get a nice backup
program. :))
The port is a bit outdated. GNU xorriso-0.5.0
should compile on FreeBSD out of the box.
It is a standalone package with minimal external
dependencies. Well suited for a test.

With a SATA drive at ata i need rw-permissions
for these device files: acd, pass, cd, xpt.
The port of xfburn generously (or daringly)
writes into /etc/devfs.rules :
  # rules for grip and xfburn support
  add path 'acd*' mode 0666
  add path 'cd*' mode 0666