How to slow down SATA to 1.5 GBit/s ?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Mar 13 13:35:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

Juergen Lock gave me a lot to read about
> ahci(4) on FreeBSD >= 8.0

The proposed solution points me to a third way
how a contemporary burner can be driven by
FreeBSD.

The purpose of my FreeBSD installation is to
improve libburn on FreeBSD and to provide
support for FreeBSD users. I.e. i want to run
a contemporary production system with all
possible variations of drive attachment.
My idea was to use the same burner via USB and
via eSATA alternatively.

So even if i get ahci running i would still
need a solution for ata.
(If there is none, then i will have to put
 the drive into the computer and use SATA
 without "e". No easy switch to USB then.)

I will nevertheless try to get my fstab ready
for ahci and to learn how to boot with that.
After all, it seems to be the upcomming driver
for SATA.

Not being a skilled sysadmin i wonder whether
this hint by Juergen announces trouble:

> (you still have to take care of swap manually then tho, and dumpdev in
> rc.conf if you have it set explicitly.)

The machine is generously equipped with RAM.
Vanilla installation from 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso.gz
plus some ports around CD/DVD/BD burning.
Installation was easy. :)

Can it be that it doesn't have any swap ?

  # swapinfo
  Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
  # vmstat
   procs      memory      page                    disks     faults         cpu
   r b w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po    fr  sr ad4 cd0   in   sy   cs us sy id
   0 0 0    435M  3711M    64   0   0   0    56   0   0   0    2   94  448  0  0 100

Nothing gets found by
  # fgrep dump /etc/rc.conf
Is that a good sign ?

>  HTH, :)

It helped to expand my todo list, in any case.
I was not aware of those aspects at all.
Many thanks for your advise.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas