To sendmail or to postfix that is the question?

Paul Wootton paul at fletchermoorland.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 10:40:59 UTC 2010

Steven Hartland wrote:
> Ok so I'm looking to replace our current windows mail
> server using mdaemon with a FreeBSD solution, having
> looked around there seems to be differing opinions
> of which is the best option to go with between sendmail
> and postfix.

> Any advice, opinions on a full mail solution on FreeBSD
> would be appreciated.
>
>    Regards
>    Steve

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but this is also something I am currently
looking in to

I really wanted to use Sendmail as a friend knows Sendmail fairly well
and I have a Sendmail book, but what I am wanting is the ability to have
mail for virtual users, ie I might have 4 admin accounts,
admin at domain1.com admin at domain2.com admin at domain3.com and
admin at domain4.com and want all the accounts to be independent of each
other and not necessarily have a real UNIX user account. I know I can
create 4 different admin accounts say admin1, admin2, admin3, admin4 and
then use the "virtual users" table, but I can see that getting a little
messy and from the end user's point they are going to have unusual login
names.
I know I can do this in Postfix, but is it possible in Sendmail?

Cheers

Paul