ctfconvert dependency...

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Mar 11 08:05:00 UTC 2010

Shrikanth Kamath wrote:
> Just trying to understand the build dependency for ctfconvert...
>
> I see ctfconvert (cddl/usr.bin/ctfconvert/)  has dependency on libctf.a
> (cddl/lib/libctf/)
>
> Now the snippet in bsd.lib.mk has this check for various target suffixes,
>
> .c.So:
> .if defined(CTFCONVERT)
>         ${CTFCONVERT} ${CTFFLAGS} ${.TARGET}
> .endif
>
> and sys.mk
>
> .c
> .if defined(CTFCONVERT)
>         ${CTFCONVERT} ${CTFFLAGS} ${.TARGET}
> .endif
>
> My query, libctf includes  <bsd.lib.mk> in it's Makefile, so will the above
> not try to
> run 'ctfconvert' on libctf itself?

I'm going to make some assumptions and go out on a limb here..

The CDDL code in FBSD came from OpenSolaris (specifically onnv-gate hg
repo)  When OpenSolaris is built they convert stab debugging information
over to CTF (compressed text format?).  This is done so that they can
have debugging information, but without the overhead of stab (or
dwarf2).  I don't know how much of the original onnv-gate Makefiles came
over from OpenSolaris, but assuming the FBSD kernel doesn't need/use CTF
format this dependency can and probably should go away.  (Only (k)mdb
supports CTF that I'm aware of?)

Hopefully this is useful information and I'm not too wrong or someone
will correct me

Best,

./C