mac_mls mac_biba mac_lomac patches to fix ptys_equal mib support for new /dev/pts in FreeBSD 8

Selphie Keller selphie.keller at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 06:31:09 UTC 2010

Robert,

I have security.mac.mls.revocation_enabled set to 0, sshd was running as
mls/equal(equal-equal) and my staff user was running as mls/2(low-high) and
sshd gave the error message:

Feb 25 21:46:14 labyrinth sshd[90850]: error: /dev/pts/5: Permission denied
Feb 25 21:46:14 labyrinth sshd[90850]: error: open /dev/tty failed - could
not set controlling tty: Permission denied

where /dev/pts/5 was set as mls/low, which does seem to be a normal response
when you have a higher grade trying to write to a lower grade with mls
enforced. However, this error only occurs when a higher grade logs into the
machine with mls/2(low-high) and is trying to write to /dev/pts/* with
mls/low, when a insecure user logs in as mls/low(low-low) errors are not
seen or if the user is exempted as mls/equal(equal-equal).

I can recompile the module without the patch and regress it back to try and
recreate the issues, if needed.

-Selphie