package building failure irritation

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Fri Mar 5 14:50:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 06:56, des@ wrote:
> xorquewasp at googlemail.com writes:
>> Is there any resolution for this problem?
>
> I told you, zfs set mountpoint and ditch nullfs.
>
> DES

Adding on to this. There were reports in various cases dating back to ~1
year with bad results, possible data loss, hard and soft dead locks when
nullfs was used with ZFS. nullfs at one point that I do remember was not
recommended to be used at all with ZFS and there exist quite a bit of
other functionality in ZFS "cloning, snapshots, mountpoint=" etc... that
serve well enough to not use nullfs at all.

Surely in the case above you are talking about packages and in which you
really should not need to mount this multiple times as a writable FS,
correct me if you feel that it does and lets see why (please provide your
process if you do).

This should suffice mounting a packages type collection in multiple
places:

# Mount one dataset wherever you need it.
zfs set mountpoint=/path/to/wherever pool/packages

# Create a snapshot and clone it for further mountpoints.
zfs snapshot pool/packages at 20100305
zfs clone pool/packages at 20100305 pool/packages2
zfs set mountpoint=/path/to/other/dir pool/packages2

If none of this would suffice then your package management needs to be
re-thought out. Central FTP, NFS, SMB, RSYNC?.

You have plenty of options available but the only one that will be
suitable to you & your process will be the one that is planned for
accordingly and thoroughly.

Best of luck,

--

  jhell