svn commit: r204615 - head/sbin/newfs

Xin LI delphij at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 04:59:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Xin LI wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Author: sobomax
>>> Date: Wed Mar  3 02:05:09 2010
>>> New Revision: 204615
>>>
>>> Log:
>>>  Teach newfs(8) to understand size modifiers for all options taking
>>>  size or size-like argument. I.e. "-s 32k" instead of "-s 32768".
>>>  Size parsing function has been shamelessly stolen from the truncate(1).
>>>  I'm sure many sysadmins out there will appreciate this small
>>>  improvement.
>>
>> Bikeshed: why not expand_number()?
>
> I did not know that function existed, but even if I did, I am really not
> sure if adding dependency on external library just to save 200 bytes of code
> worth it. Considering that newfs(8) is often embedded into various
> space-tight/custom things, adding dependency could cause more harm than
> good. In any case, I do not feel strongly about that, so I can change it to
> use libutil if people feel like it.

[Moved from svn-all@ to -hackers@]

I'd prefer depending on libutil since it's installed as a /lib library
which is usually available, as libutil is not something easily
avoidable.

By the way I'm curious why these (humanize and friends) are not
available as libc function?  Because they are not part of POSIX
perhaps?

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> http://www.delphij.net