package building failure irritation

mark at coreland.ath.cx mark at coreland.ath.cx
Tue Mar 2 14:52:22 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-02 11:00:45, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> xorquewasp at googlemail.com writes:
> > Basically, I have a ton of jails and each jail mounts a shared 'tmp',
>
> That's not a good idea, there are too many opportunities for conflicts
> (software that creates sockets and state directories with non-randomized
> names in /tmp) and might even allow a compromised jail to compromise the
> others.

Don't panic. It's actually mounted at /shared_tmp as an explicit means
for jails to communicate via the filesystem. In other words, it's known
to be unsafe. I use it to sandbox programs to some extent (download a
pdf on the host into /shared_tmp and open it in a pdf reader in a jail
that has no network or other filesystem access).

The jails also aren't externally accessible.

> zfs set mountpoint=/jail/8.0-amd64-mk4 storage/jails/8.0/x86_64/mk4
>
> Children of storage/jails/8.0/x86_64/mk4 will inherit this property, so
> they will automatically appear where you expect; alternatively, you can
> set the mountpoint property for each individual fileset.

I see.

Is it possible to define multiple mountpoints (to emulate what nullfs
provides)?

xw