I need reply in Embedded FreeBSD Kernel Theme

Matt Thyer matt.thyer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 03:00:04 UTC 2010

On 24 June 2010 11:06, Mohammed Farrag <mfarrag at freebsd.org> wrote:
> @ Matt
> Thanx for ur reply Matt.
> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> FreeBSD is already a very modular system and the traditional way (a
> traditional way) to build for embedded systems is to follow the
> NanoBSD build method (tools included in the source tree) with a
> stripped down kernel in which you only load the modules your hardware
> requires using the FreeBSD loader (or after the initial boot).
> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> yeah I read about that. My mentor suggested that before and my idea is very
> close to NanoBSD but I don't know if the freebsd loader will load the moduls
> based on the hardware requirements or user requirements. I will be glad to
> reply me.

Modules are loaded by the user adding entries to /boot/loader.conf.
e.g. if_sis_load="YES".
That example will load the "sis" driver for the Silicon Image network
interfaces on my Soekris net4801 board as I have removed almost
everything in my kernel and just load the modules I require.

Some modules will automatically load when another driver requires them.

FreeBSD does not try to discover and reconfigure your hardware at boot
time like the "kudzu" utility in Linux.
Instead it will attach to the hardware for which you have drivers in
your kernel or for which you have told the loader to load modules for.