loader prompt: list / on other device

Domagoj S. rank1seeker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 17:16:34 UTC 2010

2010/6/23 Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.pp.ru>:
> On 23.06.2010 23:03, rank1seeker at gmail.com wrote:
>> I've escaped to loader prompt:
>> Current device is disk0s3a, from which this loader is running.
>>
>> My USB stick is device1 and device1s2a is UFS /, on which I would like to
>> reach some file or simply list directory.
>>
>> Syntax?
>
> I guess, you have to change 'currdev' variable to point to right diskX
>
> Eugene Grosbein

Thanks Eugene!
It worked. ;)

I've booted ad4s3a and escaped to loader prompt.
currdev was disk0s3a
USB stick was disk1s2a, which mounted, appears as da0s2a

I used "more /etc/fstab" in order to get hostname
HDD_hostanme

Then at loader prompt:
"set currdev=disk1s2a"

Then again, I used "more /etc/fstab" in order to get hostname:
USB_hostanme

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM,  <mdf at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM,  <rank1seeker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've escaped to loader prompt:
>> Current device is disk0s3a, from which this loader is running.
>>
>> My USB stick is device1 and device1s2a is UFS /, on which I would like to
>> reach some file or simply list directory.
>
> IIRC, there is no way to do this (but my memory is based on stable/7).
>  I extended some Isilon stuff to add a 'bootdev' command to the loader
> that would allow for selecting alternate boot disks.  I can see about
> dusting that off and making a patch against CURRENT, if there is no
> current way to do what you ask.
>
> Cheers,
> matthew

Well, looks like it is working on 8.0 RELEASE.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Andrew Duane <aduane at juniper.net> wrote:
> You *should*  be able to use device1s2a:/ as a syntax, but I noticed a bug in our old loader code that parses devicenames like that where it wouldn't work correctly with unit numbers. I don't know if that bug is still around, but setting currdev did work around it.
>
> /Andrew

Thx!
I'll try it...