amd64 kernel modules: mapping sections to addresses

Navdeep Parhar np at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 21 22:00:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:34:49AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 21/06/2010 23:44 Navdeep Parhar said the following:
> >> sure of
> >> It was deeper level than that, I'd have to dig it up.
> >
> > I'm using this patch these days:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~np/kgdb+kld+amd64.diff
> >
> > The changes to the kernel linker were not required originally.  See this
> > for why they had to be made:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2009-November/030093.html
> >
> > The patch is quite crude and I have no idea how it behaves on other
> > platforms.
>
> Thanks a lot!  These are exact issues that I hit and the patches are what I
> think they should be, take or give.  I don't think they are really crude.
> I will try to get them committed.
>
> Kernel linker change is good as is, I'd just like to move the zero size check
> before the switch statement.

I'm not so sure about this.  There is code inside the second switch that runs
whether sh_size is 0 or not.  Either all of it is pointless code (when sh_size
is 0) or or you'll make sure that it still runs, right?

Regards,
Navdeep