CLONE_NEWNS or similar in freebsd?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Jun 16 00:22:31 UTC 2010

On 6/15/10 1:25 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 15/06/2010 17:42 Boyko Yordanov said the following:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I have an app that uses linux's clone() syscall (with the CLONE_NEWNS flag).
>> I need to migrate this app to freebsd.
>>
>> Is there similar functionality in freebsd? For what I read fork() and rfork()
>> wont do the trick. I need the children to have their own private mount
>> namespaces.
>

> I am afraid that FreeBSD doesn't have this capability.
> There is a single mount namespace per whole system image.
> BTW, I am intrigued, in what situations this flag is useful?

See his other email for more detail on what he wants.
I have not heard of this before and you are correct in that we do not
have this capacity.
I have considered giving jails the capacity to have their own 'real /'
  i.e. have a totally different filesystem name space (not just a
chroot). Then when the jail is removed  then namespace would
disappear. but that's sort of different.

Julian