libc symbol versioning difficulties with iconv integration

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 4 10:57:59 UTC 2010

Hello folks,

I'm trying to integrate the result of my last SoC work to the base
system but I'm facing some difficulties with libc symbol versioning. I
placed the iconv code into an iconv subdirectory inside src/lib/libc and
I added a Makefile and a symbol map, just like another parts of libc do
but when I try to compile this stuff, I get this error in the linking phase:

building shared library libc.so.7
/usr/bin/ld: libc.so.7: undefined versioned symbol namefts_open at FBSD_1.0
/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value
*** Error code 1

I have no idea what's going wrong because I did everything exactly in
the same way as another components do. I don't know why does it break at
fts_open(), which is unrelated to iconv, not even used in the iconv
code. If I just unhook the iconv part fromt he build, everything goes
fine. Any ideas?

Patch is here: http://kovesdan.org/patches/iconv-libc.diff

Thanks,

--