possible NFS lockups

Andreas Feid asimex at gmx.net
Wed Jul 28 07:18:44 UTC 2010

I have a few remarks and questions; what happens when the system is in this state? Your access to the mount fails but is restored after a while, or do you need to remount, under normal conditions the access should be restored automaticlly. The error message per se is indicating a busy server and should clear up after a while, as you have seen.
How frequent do you see the error, once per hour, day? If you say filer, I assume you are talking about a Netapp filer, it might be worth taking a perfstat when the error happens, and when the condition exists. I think dtrace will not really help since this seems a server issue to me.
As the filer is used to store mails, I assume we are talking about qmail  or similiar environment with a huge number of small files, I would like to know how the directory structure looks on the filer.
If possible get a perfstat and provide the directory structure offline to me and I will have a look.

-Andreas
-------- Original-Nachricht --------