pageout question

Andriy Gapon avg at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 26 19:59:35 UTC 2010

on 26/07/2010 20:53 RW said the following:
> If after the first pass with light-paging the high watermark isn't
> reached then the choices are
>
> 1) loop and immediately do a heavy-paging pass.
>
> 2) wait and let the daemon get woken-up for another light-paging pass -
> only go to heavy-paging when this strategy isn't keeping up with demand.
>
> To me (2) is doing the right thing. It's trying to satisfy  demand from
> existing clean pages, and only paging heavily as a last resort.

Well, based on my observations, if the first pass doesn't reach the high
watermark, then we are in a high pressure situation and so we would have to do
some heavy-lifting anyways.  In my opinion, it's better to start doing more work
 at once than trying to pretend that situation would somehow resolve itself.

--
Andriy Gapon