Set default pxeboot vfs.root.mountfrom to nfs?

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Jul 1 18:50:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:45:37AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:07 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Hi Hackers,
> >     I realize this is a trivial patch, but it's a minor item that I
> > found kind of fascinating (and not thoroughly documented elsewhere
> > because many examples are booting mfsroots instead of directly booting
> > off nfs roots), but I'm proposing that pxeboot default to
> > vfs.root.mountfrom="nfs" to reduce the need for special case
> > loader.conf files just for pxe booting (and thus, enable
> > out-of-the-box netbooting ^o^!!!).
> >     Thoughts?
> > Thanks!
> > -Garrett
>
> I'll just give this a +1 and move on.
>
> sean

I don't quite understand the whole point of this patch. I have no
"special" loader.conf files and the diskless test machine boots just fine.
I suppose dhcp server sends vital information which is understood by pxeboot.

On the dhcp/tftp/nfs server:

> cat amd64/boot/loader.conf
loader_logo="beastie"
snd_hda_load="YES"
ahci_load="YES"
vboxdrv_load="YES"

> cat amd64/conf/base/etc/fstab
md              /tmp                    mfs     -s=128m,rw      0       0
linprocfs       /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw      0       0

> ls /tftpboot/
pxeboot

> tail -20 /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf
#}

subnet X.X.X.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

group {
  next-server HOSTNAME;
  filename "pxeboot";
  option root-path "HOSTNAME:/home/jails/amd64";

  host HOST1 {
    fixed-address Y.Y.Y.Y;
    hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
  }