posting coding bounties, appropriate money amounts?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 22 23:10:07 UTC 2010

Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am curious about posting some coding bounties, my current interest
> revolves around improving the ZVOL functionality in FreeBSD: fixing
> the known ZVOL SWAP reliability/stability problems as well as making
> ZVOLs work as a dumpon device (as is already the case in OpenSolaris)
> for crash dumps. I am a private individual and not some huge Fortune
> 100 and while I am not exactly rich, I am willing to put some of my
> personal money towards this. I am curious though, what would be the
> best way to approach this: directly approaching committer(s) with the
> know-how-and-why of the areas involved or through the FreeBSD
> Foundation? And how would one go about calculating the appropriate
> amount of money for such a thing?

Hi,

This idea (bounties) appear approximately every 6 months and it appears
there is no better way than contacting the developers directly. AFAIK
all attempts to conglomerate such an effort have failed. One important
conclusion is that it cannot go through the Foundation since they cannot
accept targeted donations.