limits for run away Firefox ?

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Mon Jan 18 04:13:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:07, jhs@ wrote:
> Hi hackers
> I'm tired of my X server occasionaly freezing, swap thrasing, & firefox dumps:
> 	4,346,937,344 ~/firefox-bin.core
> so as a temporary cludge I ran
> 	touch ~/firefox-bin.core ; chmod 000  ~/firefox-bin.core
> I could put X users in another group, & reduce limits, per
> 	man login.conf ... RESOURCE LIMITS
> suggestions of values welcome.
>
> Yes 7.1 is old, thats my screen server, till I complete local builds of
> 7.2 & 8.0 on other boxes., then I'll upgrade, but I'll still want firefox
> though I see firefox is still troublesome eg
> 	uname -r # 8.0-RELEASE
> 	cd /usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile ; make
> 	make	# ===>  firefox-2.0.0.20_9,1 is forbidden:
> 		 too many security issues
> 	cd ../firefox3 ; make	# is OK, & runs on 8.0 i686, but on
> 	amd64 fails with
> 		GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
> so I'm pausing for perspective, comment invited :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

Is it a possibility for you to add something like this to your
~/.login_conf

me:\
         :umask=027:\
         :lang=C:\
         :charset=en_US.ISO8859-1:\
         :coredumpsize=0

Of course, adjust accordingly.

Maybe you could just run it in a different class that you can setup
globally in your login.conf as well so you do not have to turn off core
dumps for your user entirely.

At least you wont have the core dumps but this may not exactly be what you
are looking for.

Best of luck.

--

  jhell