ntpd hangs under FBSD 8

Nate Eldredge nate at thatsmathematics.com
Thu Feb 25 16:58:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Peter Steele wrote:

>> Very wild guess, check the process signal mask of the child for both
>> methods of spawning.
>
> I'm running ntpd through Python. How do I check the process signal mask?
> I did some quick searches and it seems Python does not support
> sigprocmask().

That wouldn't help, because you'd get the signal mask of python itself,
not of the ntpd child process.

truss and/or ktrace can help here, just look backward in the trace for the
last call to sigprocmask.  (Another possible culprit can be a signal
that's handled and then a longjmp (not siglongjmp) out of the
handler.  You'd see this in the trace as a signal delivery not followed
by sigprocmask or sigreturn.)

--

Nate Eldredge
nate at thatsmathematics.com