ntpd hangs under FBSD 8

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Thu Feb 25 16:57:25 UTC 2010

>Below is the quickly made patch to add ability to show signal disposition to the procstat(1). I am not sure about duplicating information about catch/ignore state
>of the signal for allthreads (this information is process-global), but I think this is more usable for scripts.

Thanks for the patch. To be honest though, this issue has already cost us way too much time. We've got a workaround by either going with Python 2.5.1 or by running ntpd via the "at" command:

os.system("echo ntpd -g -q|at now")

If we running ntpd in this fashion it doesn't hang, more proof that the problem is related to Python's manipulation of the process signal mask. Running it through the "at" subsystem removes it from the Python process hierarchy. We'll likely go with this solution instead of downgrading Python and the related libraries.