junior tasks wiki page - please add stuff

Eitan Adler eitanadlerlist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 22:59:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made a wiki page[1] to list small odd-jobs that beginners to work
>> on. It is intended to answer the question "I'm just starting out with
>> coding, what can I help with?" The tasks put on the wiki page should
>> be things that require little programming skill.
>>
>> It would become a lot more useful if people added things to do.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/JuniorJobs
>
>    1. Who should the wiki content `regulators' be (i.e. project-only
> folks, outside folks, etc)? Anyone can sign up for an account and
> because the information reflects on the project, it would be best
> (IMO) if `proposals' // `tasks' were vetted by someone in the project
> with sufficient say to prioritize the item.
I could see a number of ways to deal with this.
Ideally this list would be integrated with the PR database. However
this requires a lot of time on the part of people with access to the
PR database.
Another possibility is just "mailing list proposals". People ask on
-questions if something could be implemented which gets a lot of
positive responses. Someone notices and adds it to the list.
Alternatively it could be used as a semi request - not everything the
list will make it in - it would just be a starting point.

We have http://wiki.freebsd.org/WantedPorts for ports

 For  instance, some folks (like linimon@) really need a junior person (I've
> debated whether or not I should do it, but I don't want to assume too
> much responsibility) to do semi-menial tasks like bug triage,
> feedback, basic administration items, etc to free up Mark's time.  That
> way it would allow someone with less background and exposure to the
> project to become more integrated with the project, outside of doing
> an SoC project for instance.

Agreed - I think that doing some small project on this list might be a
good way to start.