junior tasks wiki page - please add stuff

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Fri Feb 19 05:22:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:13, yanefbsd@ wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made a wiki page[1] to list small odd-jobs that beginners to work on.
>> It is intended to answer the question "I'm just starting out with
>> coding, what can I help with?" The tasks put on the wiki page should be
>> things that require little programming skill.
>>
>> It would become a lot more useful if people added things to do.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/JuniorJobs
>
>    1. Who should the wiki content `regulators' be (i.e. project-only
> folks, outside folks, etc)? Anyone can sign up for an account and
> because the information reflects on the project, it would be best (IMO)
> if `proposals' // `tasks' were vetted by someone in the project with
> sufficient say to prioritize the item.
>    2. Would it be a good idea to also provide a list of tasks that are
> non-coding related (or at least have a smaller scope) so that others
> could assist with in the project to help free up resources? For
> instance, some folks (like linimon@) really need a junior person (I've
> debated whether or not I should do it, but I don't want to assume too
> much responsibility) to do semi-menial tasks like bug triage, feedback,
> basic administration items, etc to free up Mark's time. That way it
> would allow someone with less background and exposure to the project to
> become more integrated with the project, outside of doing an SoC project
> for instance.
>    Just curious...
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

It would be awesome if for some way the PR database could be tied into
this so items in the database could be promoted as junior tasks.  Adding
to that, an option in the PR web for someone to be able to vote on certain
PR's that should be promoted and ultimately giving a little more free time
to the PR admin by not having to visually inspect every PR that has not
been categorized for its worth as a junior project, and putting the
community as a whole to work in the voting.

Ultimately I would see something like the above reducing the PR database
greatly and freeing up some man hours for linimon@ so he can get some more
coffee ;).

Think-Tank open for business ;)

Regards,