ZFS'inodes' (as reported by 'df -i') running out?

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 18 12:26:37 UTC 2010

On 18 February 2010 12:04, pluknet <pluknet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 February 2010 14:41, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Karl Pielorz wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I originally posted this in freebsd-fs - but didn't get a reply... I
> >> have a number of systems (mostly 7.2-S/amd64) running ZFS. Some of these
> >> handle millions of files.
> >>
> >> I've noticed recently, according to "df -i" I'm starting to run out of
> >> inodes on some of them (96% used).
> >>
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> "
> >> Filesystem     iused    ifree %iused Mounted on
> >> vol/imap      1726396   69976   96%  /vol/imap
> >> "
> >>

> >> I know ZFS doesn't have inodes (think they're znodes), and is capable of
> >> handling more files than you can probably sensibly think about on a
> >> filesystem - but is "df -i" just getting confused, or do I need to be
> >> concerned?
> >
> > AFAIK ZFS allocates inodes when needed so df -i reports the previously
> > allocated value. The number of available inodes should automatically
> > grow as you add more files.
>
> Sorta jfyi. That's what I see on Solaris:
> df: operation not applicable for FSType zfs
>

> --
> wbr,
> pluknet

Just wait until you start using dedup and get magically growing disks with
df 8))

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/test bs=128k count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
131072 bytes (131 kB) copied, 0.00317671 s, 41.3 MB/s

$ zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
dedup  1016M  95.5K  1016M     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
rpool   148G   103G  45.0G    69%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

$ zfs set dedup=on dedup

$ df -h /dedup
dedup                 984M   21K  984M   1% /dedup

 $ seq 1 1000| while read a ; do cp  /tmp/test /dedup/test.$RANDOM; done

$ df -h /dedup/
dedup                 1.1G  116M  984M  11% /dedup
$ zpool list dedup
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
dedup  1016M   360K  1016M     0%  921.00x  ONLINE  -

Its only available on opensolaris dev at the moment so dont get to excited,
but in a year or so i mat hit freebsd. You will need a beefy machine though
with a ssd backed l2arc