ZFS'inodes' (as reported by 'df -i') running out?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 10:50:01 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I originally posted this in freebsd-fs - but didn't get a reply... I have a
number of systems (mostly 7.2-S/amd64) running ZFS. Some of these handle
millions of files.

I've noticed recently, according to "df -i" I'm starting to run out of
inodes on some of them (96% used).

e.g.

"
Filesystem     iused    ifree %iused Mounted on
vol/imap      1726396   69976   96%  /vol/imap
"

I know ZFS doesn't have inodes (think they're znodes), and is capable of
handling more files than you can probably sensibly think about on a
filesystem - but is "df -i" just getting confused, or do I need to be
concerned?

Thanks,

-Karl