read(1) garbage when input redirected from make incorrectly

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 00:55:09 UTC 2010

Hi Hackers,
   I accidentally reproduced the following after executing read
properly in a pipeline with make:

[garrcoop at garrcoop-fbsd /usr/home/garrcoop]$ read DESTDIR SRCCONF <
/usr/bin/make -V DESTDIR -V SRCCONF
bash: read: `-V': not a valid identifier
[garrcoop at garrcoop-fbsd /usr/home/garrcoop]$ echo $DESTDIR
 ELF
[garrcoop at garrcoop-fbsd /usr/home/garrcoop]$ hexdump -C foo
00000000  7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 0a                           |.ELF....|
00000008
[garrcoop at garrcoop-fbsd /usr/home/garrcoop]$

   Is this an issue to be concerned about apart from cosmetic noise,
i.e. potential buffer access problem? I see the same garbage from
bash/coreutils on RHEL 4.6 as well as read(1) and /bin/sh on FreeBSD
with RELENG_8, so the issue appears to be consistent on multiple
OSes...
Thanks,
-Garrett