NFS write corruption on 8.0-RELEASE

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Feb 12 19:27:20 UTC 2010

Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
 > Oh, then I really misunderstood. If the curruption implied is
 > like when you copy a file via NFS and the net goes down, and in
 > case of soft mount you have half of a file (read: corruption), while
 > with hard mount the copy process will finish when the net is back up,
 > that's definitely OK and expected.

Of course it depends what kinds of programs you run.

If you run a database, it can become corrupted to the point
that you can't start it anymore, so you have to restore it
from the latest backup.  Been there, done that.

Another example, this happened to a friend of mine:  After
a network outage his Opera browser didn't work anymore.
He had to remove his ~/.opera directory to get it working
again (and he lost all his settings).  His home directory
was "soft"-mounted, but he removed the soft option after
that incident.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The last good thing written in C was