our little daemon abused as symbol of the evil

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Feb 9 20:38:48 UTC 2010

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> writes:
> "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des at des.no> writes:
> > There is no need to register a trademark.
> Agreed, probably no Need,
> but there might be some benefit to some commercial interests.

In this particular case?  I'd say it's just a waste of money.

> There's Linux trademarks in Germany (so prob. in others countries),
> [SUSE chameleon]

SUSE is a German company - or was, before they were acquired by Novell,
but they still have offices in Germany and do business there.  I imagine
Novell have registered their various trademarks in all countries in
which they do business; I also imagine it costs them millions of dollars
a year.

Besides, there is a huge difference between a logo for a specific
*commercial* product from a specific company on the one hand, and a
mascot for a whole family of free-as-in-beer-and-speech systems with no
single identifiable owner on the other.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no