[RFC] [patch] pkill verbose option

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:24:53 UTC 2010

jhell <jhell <at> DataIX.net> writes:

[snip]

> Now pkill -v sleep on my system actually causes my Xserver to exit with a
> unexpected signal 15.

Yes.  "pkill -v sleep" kills all your own processes except for sleep.  As root,
it kills all processes running on your machine except for sleep.

-V is not a good choice of letter for this option:  it's too easy to write -v
instead by accident.  -l (dash-ell), as jhell has suggested elsewhere in this
thread, would be ideal, since it's lowercase and easy to type.  If you don't
like -l, you could choose to make it -D (for "Debug") instead.