Spin down HDD after disk sync or before power off

Ondřej Majerech oxyd.oxyd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 03:07:12 UTC 2010

On 3 February 2010 21:44, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> Are there any other device drivers that differentiate the reboot and
> poweroff actions that could be used as inspiration or simply shamelessly
> copied in modifying ata-disk?

I don't know about FreeBSD drivers, but I used NetBSD briefly on my
notebook, and I noticed that it spun the disk down properly before
poweroff.  It was a very distinctive sound from what FreeBSD made on
shutdown -p.  So perhaps you could see how NetBSD guys do it and get
some ideas from there?

~ Ondra