our little daemon abused as symbol of the evil

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Feb 2 18:30:59 UTC 2010

Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Look here:
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-51396-2.html

( Well spotted Christoph ! )
For those that don't read German, tracing back,
Text article starts here
	http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,675395,00.html

That is in German,
	(some might like a translator web, eg http://babelfish.org )
	I did read the german article (but skipped graphics).

Key paragraph:
	Es ist ein Horrorszenario für Datenschützer, was Thorsten
	Holz, Gilbert Wondracek, Engin Kirda und Christopher Kruegel
	in ihrem 15-seitigen Aufsatz beschreiben ( PDF-Datei hier,
	803 KB): Die Experten vom Isec-Forschungslabor für
	IT-Sicherheit, einer Kooperation der Technischen Universität
	Wien, dem Institute Eurcom und der University of California,
	dokumentieren einen technisch eher simplen Angriff, der
	eine seit zehn Jahren bekannte Sicherheitslücke ausnutzt.

In key para there I could click & download
	sonda-TR.pdf
(though now I can't seem to redownload
	http://www.iseclab.org/papers/sonda-TR.pdf	)
A 15 page article in Engish.
	Page 4 uses the Firefox & BSD logos.

I havent read that English [yet],  but with it, any interested here
can now read & form own opinions if it seems fair to use the Daemon
logo, especially cc'd copyright holder of BSD daemon holder:
	Kirk McKusick <mckusick at mckusick.com>

IMO The German article by weekly magazine Spiegel.de didnt really seem
to have anything to do with BSD, they just copied the graphics.

Personaly my 2c:
  Initial reaction was I'd be a happier if a generic PC graphic had
  been used in the spiegel.de web, but maybe its the price of fame,
  I guess tests were done using BSD, & Spiegel thought it was nice
  colourful graphic.  (Politicians never looked good on British TV
  Spitting Image programme, but they learnt it was better to look
  bad there, & be talked about, than not seen, not recognised &
  ignored).

Cheers,
Julian
--