PCI IDE Controller Base Address Register setting

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 28 19:22:35 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:10:59 pm Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> Hi,

Yes, that should be correct.  You have to turn the console on however (it is
not enabled by default).  The simplest way to do this is probably to hit the
key option to break into the loader prompt when you see the boot menu (I think
it is option '6').  Then enter 'boot -D' at the 'OK' prompt.  This should boot
with both the video and serial consoles enabled with the video console as the
primary console.  For a verbose boot, use 'boot -Dv'

If you want to test out the serial console before you boot, you can instead
enter 'set console="vidconsole,comconsole"' at the prompt.  You should then
see an OK prompt on both the screen and the serial port.

Note that the serial console is hardcoded to use the default I/O ports for
COM1.

> > Or at least the kernel
> > probe messages for your
> > ATA controller?
> >

> I recall that pressing Alt+F2 during the installation would open-up
> another console, full with log messages. Would that be enough?

Actually, the kernel probe messages are on the main console, but you can hit
scroll lock to freeze the console and then use page up to go back in history
and find the messages.

--
John Baldwin