/etc/rc.d/mountcritremote

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 31 19:27:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Sean Bruno <seanbru at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 09:29 -0700, N.J. Mann wrote:
>> In message <1283271393.3665.13.camel at home-yahoo>,
>>       Sean Bruno (seanbru at yahoo-inc.com) wrote:
>> > An issue in testing came up where we were trying to mount NFS
>> > directories from the same server, i.e. a machine trying to mount an NFS
>> > dir on itself.
>> >
>> > Because mountcritremote runs before the NFS server is up, we modified
>> > the REQUIRES section and appended nfsd.
>>
>> Is this not what the 'late' attribute in /etc/fstab is for?
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> oberon% grep /usr/ports /etc/fstab
>> oberon:/export/usr/ports   /usr/ports   nfs   late,rw,tcp

Specifying `late' seems extremely unnecessary for NFS mounts. If
mountcritremote can't properly depend on nmbd, nfsd, smbd for mounting
filesystems, then it seems like a rc script dependency issue
(otherwise, mountcritremote is basically mountcritlocal, waiting for
some networking connectivity to come up, right?).

> Good question.  Looking over the man page for mount, is there any reason
> to use 'late' versus what I am suggesting?

Thanks,
-Garrett