System freezes unexpectly

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 29 21:36:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Davide Italiano
<davide.italiano at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Garrett Cooper <gcooper at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Davide Italiano
>> <davide.italiano at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What video driver are you using, can you stimulate this issue with
>> other applications in X11, etc?
>> -Garrett
>>

> I tried to stimulate issue w/ other applications and other window
> managers, but I didn't obtain anythin' ( I also tried w/ epiphany,
> that uses the same rendering engine of firefox) . Firefox "freezes"
> the system (again, I don't know if it's the right term). The driver
> I'm using is radeon.

Ok. How about this?

Firefox items:
1. What version of Firefox are you using?
2. Are you using any Firefox plugins?
3. When you try to bring up Firefox, does it start to render the GTK
window and then freeze, or does it freeze without rendering the GTK
window?
4. Are you starting from `scratch' with Firefox, or are you restoring
your last session?
5. If you compiled from ports, what do your
CPUTYPE/CC/CXX/CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS look like?

Radeon items:
1. What Radeon card do you have?
2. Are you using the drm code in the kernel, or not?
3. Have you tried with the vesa driver instead of the radeon driver?

I would focus on the Firefox items for now because they're easier to
track down, but definitely try one spin with the vesa driver instead
of the radeon driver because it's quick and dirty.

Thanks!
-Garrett