ar(1) format_decimal failure is fatal?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 28 23:23:40 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've been working on fixing the OpenAFS network filesystem client for
FreeBSD, and it's at the point where I want to use the lazy man's
filesystem stress test: buildworld.
However, quite early in the process, I get the following error:
>>> stage 1.1: legacy release compatibility shims
[...]
===> tools/build (obj,includes,depend,all,install)
[...]
building static egacy library
ar: fatal: Numeric user ID too large
*** Error code 70

This error appears to be coming from
lib/libarchive/archive_write_set_format_ar.c , which seems to only have
provisions for outputting a user ID in AR_uid_size = 6 columns.
Now, AFS user IDs are not tied to unix IDs; there is a separate protection
server whose "pts" IDs are used for access control; these pts IDs are tied
to kerberos authentication.  In this case, I was authenticated as
daemon/freebuild.mit.edu at ATHENA.MIT.EDU, with pts ID 33554737, which needs
8 columns to display.

It looks like this macro was so defined in version 1.1 of that file, with
commit message "'ar' format support for libarchive, contributed by Kai
Wang.".  This doesn't make it terribly clear whether the 'ar' format
mandates this length, or if it is an implementation decision, so I get to
ask: what reasoning (if any) was behind this choice?  Would anything break
if it was bumped up to a larger size?  Are there other options for a
workaround in my AFS environment?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ben Kaduk