Is there a boot manager that can handle this?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 27 01:04:27 UTC 2010

On 8/26/2010 5:59 PM, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- I/Alex (Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:13:18 -0400) ----*
> | title fbsd-b64 -- chainloader (hd0,2,a)
> |   root (hd0,2,a)
> |   chainloader +1
> | title fbsd-b32 -- chainloader (hd0,3,a)
> |   root (hd0,3,a)
> |   chainloader +1
>
> ,--- You/Doug (Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:54:01 -0700) ----*
> |
> | What you posted below seems like grub 1 syntax.
>
> Right.  But notice 2 and 3 above (in the "root" lines).
>
> | The latest Ubuntu comes
> | with grub 2. Here is what I have in /etc/grub.d/40_custom (after the
> | required bits):
> | menuentry "FreeBSD 9-Current amd64" {
> | set root=(hd0,3)
> | chainloader +1
> | }
> | menuentry "FreeBSD 7-Stable i386" {
> | set root=(hd0,3)
> | chainloader +1
> | }
>
> and notice 3 and 3 in yours.
>
> Aren't you pointing GRUB to the same location (the third partition on
> hd0), in both entries?

Ah, right, sorry. The bit I pasted was not the bit I actually used. I
had changed the second one to hd0,4 in the running version but I didn't
back up that version of the file. I also forgot to mention that I had
found the ,a syntax while searching but that didn't help either.

Someone responded to me privately to suggest gag.sf.net, which seems
promising. Anyone have bad experiences with that?

Doug