real memory falsely reports 8G, BIOS & avail memory reports 1G

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Aug 17 11:49:50 UTC 2010

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday, August 09, 2010 8:13:03 am Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi hackers at freebsd.org
> > A laptop here emits a puzzlingly dmesg to both 8.1-RC2 & 8.1-RELEASE:
> > 	real memory  = 8572108800 (8175 MB)
> > 	avail memory = 1018789888 (971 MB)
> > BIOS reckons it has 1G. No panel to unscrew to inspect memory.
> > I don't beleive 8G.
> >
> > If this is a bug in FreeBSD detect code ?
> > I am ready to run test kernel patches againt 8.1-RELEASE
> > & report back if anyone has code.
> > (I have room to install a current too if necessary)
> >
> > Full dmesg here:
> > http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/novatech-8355/dmesg/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> Hmm, do you have dmidecode output?

Hi, Thanks for interest, Yes here

http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/novatech-8355/dmidecode/

PS Paul Wootton <paul at fletchermoorland.co.uk> just mailed me
how to physically get to look at the RAM;   I will do that & reports back.
	 http://www.overclockers.com/tips1192/index02.asp

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text,  Not HTML, quoted-printable & base 64 dumped with spam.