glabel "force sectorsize" patch

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 8 10:52:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 03:57:44AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to help users having 4k sector drives which the system
> recognizes as 512 byte sector drives, I'm proposing a patch to glabel
> which enables it to use a forced sector size for its native-labeled
> providers. It is naturally only usable with glabel-native labels
> (those created by "glabel label") and not partition and file system
> labels because we cannot add arbitrary new fields to metadata of those
> types.
>
> The patch is here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/diffs/glabel_ssize.patch
[...]
> This mechanism is a band-aid until there's a better way of dealing
> with 4k drives.

So why do you want to obfuscate glabel with it? For people to start
depend on it? Once we start supporting 4kB sectors what do we do with
such a change? Remove it and decrease version number? What people will
do with providers already labeled this way?

If its temporary, just allow to list providers you want to increase
sector size in /boot/loader.conf. Once we start supporting it properly
people might simply remove it from loader.conf and it should just work.

Glabel is not for that and I don't agree for such obfuscation.