GSoC: Generic DMA engine framework

Jakub Klama jceel at semihalf.com
Fri Apr 30 18:01:24 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm a student accepted with proposal "Generic DMA engine framework for
FreeBSD". I'm on second year computer science studies at Jagiellonian
University in Poland.

This summer I'll add generic mechanism for using general purpose
DMA engines found in embedded system-on-chip devices. This will make
possible to schedule  transfers from kernel and userspace and will
allow to use DMA in other devices using systemwide DMA engine.

My earlier experience with kernel development was writing FreeBSD/arm
port to TI DaVinci Digital-media system-on-chip - more details here: [1].
Development of this project will be done also on DaVinci - I'll provide
implementation of its DMA engine as well as example DMA-enabled device
driver - DaVinci's SD/MMC controller (current implementation uses only
PIO transfers).

You can read more details here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010JakubKlama

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions about this project.

[1] - http://42.pl/u/2gfn_FreeBSDarm-port-for-TI-DaVinci

Best regards,
--
Jakub Klama.