regenerating /var/db/pkg

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Apr 23 14:38:13 UTC 2010

Aryeh M. Friedman writes:

>  I acciddentally rm'ed my /var/db/pkg and want to know is it
>  possible to rgenerate it (I have portmaster and portupgrade
>  installed)

	(I'm assuming you have _completely_ deleted the contents of
/var/db/pkg.)
	If you have not deleted /usr/ports/distfiles, this will give
you a starting place.  Mind you, some of the distfile names bear
scant relation to the port names ... but they're usually not that
hard to track down.
	The advice to "start with a big one" - OpenOffice, KDE, etc. -
is also sound.

				Robert Huff
				(who used this method
				 successfully a couple of years ago)