Bug with fixit live 8.0 memstick.img running on F1 after MBR

Ken Smith kensmith at buffalo.edu
Thu Apr 22 17:06:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 21:09 +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi hackers@,
> No replies in over 4 days to this, so this is a repost,
> I've also added re@ as newish memstick.img might interest them ?

>   (The live command prompt on F4 wasn't much use, no ls yet.)

echo *

That said you usually run into a different thing you can't do
shortly after finding out what files/directories are there...

> > Conclusion:
> >   Would be nice if others tried too, to tell if it's my mistake or a bug.
> >   WOrth doing as it also sets you up ready with a stick that can rescue/
> >   fixit + has enough space for other file systemes with your own
> >   personal /usr/local inc. X, ready for eg testing laptops in shops.

I won't have much time to fiddle with this in the next few days but
just a few misc. comments.  I never pictured someone wanting to do
what you're trying to do with the memstick images so this sort of
thing was never tested (at least by me).  I pictured people taking
a totally different approach to doing the general thing you are
trying to do.  There is a script named "make-memstick.sh" in
/usr/src/release/scripts on head and stable/8 (it got added after
8.0-RELEASE was out) that I use to make the memstick images.

If you don't like what's on the memstick images we provide you
can basically roll your own using that script, possibly by
starting off with what's on our memstick image (just mount
it and copy everything off it to a directory that you then
add/remove stuff to produce what you want).  Just as a quick
example if you wanted the full DVD (packages and all) on
a memstick you could stick the DVD in a drive (or mount
the DVD .iso file as a vnode md or whatever) and do:

  make-memstick.sh /cdrom dvd.img

Then copy dvd.img to a drive.  Or, more to your point,
copy /cdrom to normal disk space and then add/remove stuff
before running the script.

The make-memstick.sh script is, on purpose, very basic.  It
just barely does what I need it to and can be used as a base
to come up with your own script that does more if you find
that doing this sort of thing happens often (testing laptops
in shops, etc).
--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at buffalo.edu